With the arrival of nice weather, BBQ season is finally here. My husband and I purchased our first home recently and now I’m collecting ideas for summer entertaining. I want to wow my guests with more that hot dogs, hamburgers, and beer. You can get a lot of inspiration online but I’m often left wondering “is this really going to taste good”. Try before you buy is a great rule to live by. And lucky for me the 3rd Annual Eat, Drink, Spring (sister show to the Ottawa Wine and Food Festival) is coming up this Friday and Saturday, May 13th and 14th.
If you need a little inspiration like I do, why not spend some time at the show sampling over 100 of the best wines for spring and summer, artisanal cocktails, craft beers, and more. You can even help support The Mission at the Battle of the BBQ. This year they have moved to a new, and more convenient, location downtown at Festival Plaza at Ottawa City Hall. The show also promises a food circus under a big top where you can sample spring fare. It’s a great place to try out samples without breaking the bank.
Included in the $20 admission are:
- BBQ school – check out the schedule and choose from 15 different one-hour workshops.
- Pati-Oh Canada – Prepare for summer parties with a demo on how to grow herbs and use them in your drinks.
- Bottle camp – Join Rod Phillips and find out your wine style for summer.
- Gardening workshops and Patio décor – Tips and tricks on summer entertaining and how to create the perfect summer patio space.
- Entertainment hosted by DJ Andrew Carter and Jeff Rodgers.
PLUS, you get to help a great cause!
Come out on Saturday from 12-2 pm for the BBQ Battle! A portion of the sales here will go to the Ottawa Mission. Chef Ric of the Ottawa Mission will prepare some scrumptious bites that include:
- Pulled pork on a mini ciabatta bun with apple slaw
- Beef slider with caramelized onion, avocado, Sriracha mayo
- Bruschetta-grilled baguette toasts topped with tomato, basil, parmesan and balsamic drizzle
- Bacon-wrapped bacon? Yup, Pork-belly wrapped with smoked maple bacon
Sound good and want in? Well we have an awesome giveaway for one of our readers to kick off spring and summer. We are giving away a pair of tickets and $50 in sampling tickets to Eat, Drink, Spring 2016 for Saturday! Giveaway open today through to Friday, May 13th. Draw will be on Friday, May 13th at noon.