It’s hard to believe that two years have already passed since Ottawa Foodie Girlz was formed. Two years ago, we didn’t know what the future held. All we had was an idea, enthusiasm and hope. Well, now we can honestly say that we’ve exceeded anything we could have ever imagined. We had a great first year and year two was even better.
A few things we’re proud to share:
- On October 21, 2015 we raised over $2600 at our Ladies' Night in support of Harmony House with the help of our friends at The Novotel, The Albion Rooms and our awesome vendors and sponsors.
- In September of 2015, Judy (our fearless leader and the heart&soul of OFG) was honoured to share her story with CTV and the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=700820&binId=1.1164511&playlistPageNum=1
- We continued support for heart month in February with an online auction that raised $3076 for the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. (To date we have raised over $11,000 for local charities and individuals in Ottawa.)
- We won the 2016 Faces Magazine award for Ottawa's Favourite Food Blogger. So many thanks to everyone who voted for us!
- We were asked to be contribute to An Insider's Guide to Canada's Capital By Windg that is available on pre-order, here.
- We continued to support a number of local charities and groups that are near and dear to us, including Children's Wish Foundation events, The Jonathan Petrie Golf Classic, Gold on the Hill, Phoebe Rose Rocks Foundation golf tournament, Vixens Victorious, Take a Bite out of Lyme.
- And, we’re super stoked by our many amazing followers on social media! As of August 2016: 4116 (495 in 2015) on Instagram, 600 (165 in 2015) on Facebook, and 3665 (1379 in 2015) on Twitter.
We have enjoyed another great year of meeting local businesses, visiting the farmers’ markets, attending events and discovering and experiencing more of the local food/drink scene in Ottawa.
Above all that, we’ve enjoyed sharing our food/giving adventures with you.
Cheers to us Ottawa Foodie Girlz!
No anniversary would be complete without a celebration!
With the opening of Andaz, a dinner at the newly opened Feast + Revel seemed a perfect fit. A few weeks ahead of our anniversary, I contacted our friend, Chef Stephen LaSalle and got the balling rolling. We were big of Chef Stephen at the Albion Rooms so we knew Feast + Revel wouldn’t disappoint. Stephen connected me with Food and Beverage Manager, Sarah who is amazing! She helped me plan an awesome anniversary celebration from start to finish.
We were booked in to the private dining room – which allowed me the “room” to decorate the room and surprize the Girlz with some special treats:
A look inside the goodie bag!
For décor, I contacted my friend Elizabeth, owner of FlowersTalk Tivoli (Elizabeth and I first met 5 years ago when she did the florals for my wedding). As always, she and her team created beautiful arrangements:
As the gang arrived for dinner, they were greeted with a glass of bubbly (Borelais by Hinterland), a goody bag, and a decadent array of nibbles.
Cheers to 2 years!
Ottawa Foodie Girlz custom logo cookies by SugarSugar Ottawa
Duck wings | These were awesome! A must try.
We soon toasted our anniversary and then got down to business and ordered our entrees. It was a tough choice but we decided on the following (yes, it was a lot of food but it’s a celebration right?!)
Fresh warm Bannock | $2
Tomato Salad | Acorn Creek and Juniper Farms tomatoes, grilled Niagara peach, charred corn, tarragon, red onion, house ricotta, birch syrup | $12
Arctic Char | Northern botanical cured Arctic Char, Ungava gin + cucumber broth, radish, sea asparagus (Thanks to Chef Stephen for sending this out as a extra surprise!)
Tritip for Six | Stonehearth oven roasted Enright Cattle beef, roasted mini Yukons and brussels, oven roasted buttered carrots, creamed scallion + horseradish, Canadian merlot jus | $95.
Elk | 72 hour Elk Ranch elk rib, mushroom + salsify, birch jus, sorrel, lemon honey mushroom conserva | $37
Pasta | Cavatelli, zaatar roasted beets, sumac, pistachio, ricotta, mint | $22
We really couldn’t leave this celebration without going all out and experiencing dessert. We took the plunge and went all in. Here’s a look:
Pouding Choumer - Cake, Maple caramel, vanilla ice cream | $12
Lemon-Lavender Curd with barley graham cracker cookie, meringue, gin + thyme sobetto | $12
Beet + Pistachio - Olive Oil Sponge, Sheep Yoghurt + White Chocolate, Rose Water, Sash Pistachio Gelato | $12
Hummingbird Chocolate Tart with Confit Orange | $12
It was a fantastic night and the perfect location for our celebrations. We thoroughly enjoyed all the dishes we had but some of the standouts were: the bannock, duck wings, Tritip, Elk, and the beet and pistachio dessert. The service and food at Feast + Revel were stellar. The team was amazing! Thanks to Chef Stephen for being all-around awesome and for always supporting us.
During dinner, I asked for some Harvey & Verns Lime soda (one of my favourites) and our server said there wasn't any available. Chef Stephen actually went in search of some for me and this is what arrived.
We also have to say a special thanks to our amazing server Theresa. She was all around great and made us feel welcome and was very knowledge about the menu. She’s like family now… seriously… we are planning our next vacation together ;)
All in all, it was a fabulous night featuring a ton of laughs and a lot of talk about the future. There are a couple of exciting ideas in the works, so we hope you’ll continue to follow along and participate in what’s up next.
A special note to Kristina, Lesia, Jenny, Vicky, Tanya, Roxanne:
Thank you for all of your hard work and your continued support and love of Ottawa Foodie Girlz and what is stands for. This group would not exist without each and every one of you -- Judy xo